Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jet's Birthday

Jet's birthday was a few weeks ago. It was so much fun that a blog post is in order. To celebrate his birthday and the completion of finals, we had planned a huge camping extravaganza. But I got a new job and it was supposed to rain, so we had to postpone our slumber in the wilderness. We were bummed, but we decided to not let our disappointment drag us down. So we set up camp right in the middle of our living room! It was the most comfortable night I have ever slept camping. And since we couldn't stare up at the stars, we decided to lie in out tent and watch Dancing with the Stars. Quite appropriate for the occasion I think.


The next day was Jet's birthday. He was expecting some big birthday surprise but couldn't pry it out of me. After taking down camp, we made our way to SLC where the big surprise was waiting for him. We were running late so I had to think up a plan on the spot. I said, "Jet, we need to hurry so we don't miss the show" and then quickly covered my mouth to hint that I had no intention of letting that cat out of the bag. He was so excited. He said with a grin, "A show? I love shows!! Oh no, we are going to be late!" He was so worried that he was going to miss something that he sped the whole way to SLC. I knew that they had shows at the University of Utah often so I directed him there. We were late. Jet was stressing. I was doing everything I could to contain my laughter. I told him that I needed to use the restroom at the pizza restaurant that is just across the street. Jet kept saying, "Meg, come on. We are going to miss the show." He followed me across the street to the restaurant where some of his best friends were waiting for him. Jet was so surprised and happy! He loved being with his friends and eating at his favorite restaurant. He ordered the biggest pizza I have ever seen!



On our way back home Jet told me how much he had loved the surprise. He said that when he saw his first friend he was going to tell me, "Meg, let's forget the show and stay here to eat." But he admitted that he had thought that I was taking him to see the Lion King on Broadway that is coming to SLC. We had talked about it a few months before, and he had said that he really wanted to go. I repsonded, "Oh, Jet. I'm sorry. That show isn't until September. I tried to get tickets, but they sold out really quickly." He said his birthday surprise was far better anyways. When we got home, I gave him a card that I was saving until the end of the day. Inside were two tickets to the Lion King (a gift from me and my parents). He couldn't believe that I had surprised him about everything, and I couldn't believe I had pulled it off. He asked me to be his date, and of course I agreed. It was a great day, and I can't wait to really go to a great show in a few months with my very best friend.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! I am impressed with your ability to keep the surprise!

    Read your article in the Friend - it is so awesome to see your work in print! You are such an amazing girl!

    We love you

    ReplyDelete